Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Dear People raised in the UK or Canada, and other people who like filling out polls:

Which of the following would you normally use?

an historian
a historian

Which of the following would you normally use?

an historical figure
a historical figure

Languages are challenging, not least because they keep changing. "an historian" and "an historical figure" were some of the British grammatical quirks I got down early.

Only now, the internet tells me, times, they are a changin'. It's okay to use "a" instead of "an" for histor* words in British Englishes. I would like some more evidence on the subject one way or the other.


Feb. 9th, 2011 11:37 pm (UTC)
I mean, it's thanks to them we lost 'norange'
Feb. 10th, 2011 08:33 am (UTC)
Don't forget "nuncle"!
Feb. 10th, 2011 04:32 pm (UTC)
And wan't "napron" another one?

But actually this is a different issue because using "an" and making the "h" silent is an attempt to Frenchify English.