Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I was booking a rail ticket just now for C and me. I knew, from advice elsewhere, to avoid RailEurope's US website since it charges higher prices for pretty much everything. The UK one was meant to be okay. RailEurope is owned by SNCF and this is an SNCF route, so it seemed appropriate to book that way.

I may never do so again if I can possibly help it. Not because of minor irritants - how few trains it's possible to compare at a time. (I cross-referenced with Deutsche Bahn's site, which was eminently useful when it came to train comparisons.)

But because of this: I was the lead passenger. I was the account holder. I was the card hotel. I was the person booking the trip.

But the confirmation and payment emails arrived to my email address addressed to the male traveler. Dear C.

P.S. I am feeling less wrathful and written a letter of complaint. If they do intend to fix this, if this is just an error in their system, then of course I would consider using the system again.

P.P.S. They wrote back promptly. They think C's name was listed as lead passenger, which is why the emails were addressed to him. Much as I am certain otherwise. But perhaps I misread field names? It's a good excuse anyways, and is, at least, gender-irrelevant, if customer service is correct.


Nov. 13th, 2011 11:49 pm (UTC)
How infuriating!

I haven't had that problem with Eurostar - having booked with them in the last week, for example, that confirmation email just has a bunch of information in it. It's not addressed to anyone. The last email from them I have addressed to anyone was successfully addressed to me, from 2008.

I can go years without this being an issue for mailing labels, but this is actually the second email this week I've sent objecting to being relegated to second or non-existant place in a mailing. (The other was the University of York.)

Edited to add: And, now that I think about it, I had a conversation with my bank earlier this year about how my statements were not addressed to me at all, rather having C's name as the only one displayed. But they fixed that promptly.

Edited at 2011-11-13 11:51 pm (UTC)