June 16th, 2008

Labyrinth - Maze

The Language of Painting

matt vs. matte
Usually, the UK English users use French spellings (i.e. theatre) (and sometimes words, i.e. courgette), compared to American English users (i.e. theater). This accounts for many of the spelling differences between the languages. In painting, however, I have, for the first time, found an instance where what looks the reverse of this is true. In the UK, it's "matt" paint, while in the U.S. "matte" is the usual spelling. What does Canadian English do for this?

to cut in
Off the top of my head, "to cut in" refers to intrusive cars and the combination of flour and fat. Clearly, it refers to painting around the edge of wall fixtures, such as electrical outlets/sockets too. The OED mentions whale fat (but in the sense of getting rid of, not including, the fat), but not butter, and certainly not paint, in its 8 types of "to cut in".
Collapse )
desperance suggests an origin having to do with wallpaper (which would involved actual cutting) which was then extrapolated to include paint.

In the US, one spackles a hole in the wall before painting. What verb does one do with Polyfilla? Or does one not verb it?