- Ordering my very own copy of a reproduction of the 1603 Iconologia!
- Finally going to the library and finding that every single article I went in to copy was even more exciting that I thought it would be.
- Checking out an 1879 book which has never been read before. It's in gorgeous condition, it was unstickered (it pained me to cause it to be stickered with a barcode), and, most tellingly of all, all of its pages are uncut.
- Running into one-time students of mine who told me how good a teacher I was when I taught them. Their enthusiasm makes me much happier about job applications.
- Running into a colleague who also works on eyeglasses who not only wanted to send me a recent conference paper of his, but was eager to proofread the relevant dissertation chapter of mine as well!
- Running into a friend from German class (which was several years past). She's lived in Germany since then, and gave me her business card so I could keep in touch to discuss Germany options.
- Running into in_translation and learning she's particularly partial to good food.
- A pleasant chat with a History department PhD student who was astonished to find a fellow historian checking out history material from the computer science/engineering library.
- For the first time ever, receiving good, helpful service from the computer store/repair place. And after something like 8 months of waiting, I finally have a laptop again, because my laptop now has a working battery.
- Seeing The Triplets of Belleville for the first time. I had no idea it was a movie about bicyling. What an impressively idea-filled, creative, funny fairy tale it is!
Good things from today
It began with a boisterous group of women, overmiked into incomprehensibility, reitering the opening scene of the movie, but in music. It wasn't a…
On the train into central London on Friday, I started reading one of this week's library book collection, Charlotte Brontë's The Foundling. It's a…
It might never have piqued my interest if it were not for Andrew Lloyd Webber. Thanks to him, I'd Do Anything was made, the third series he was…