- I am very proud of my sister: she was recently accepted into a salsa dancing troupe.
- I tried cooking pad thai tonight for the first time and learned quite a bit about tofu and noodles. I now aspire to owning a good non-stick flat-bottomed wok.
- The Canary Wharf Waitrose is a strange and unintuitively organized store. My search for tofu gathered up three of the store's staff, all of whom also wished to know where it was kept.
- All the teaspoons in the apartment have vanished into the ether. It is a mystery.
- I am now a happy possessor of a copy of Conrad's Fate, the most recent Diana Wynne Jones novel.
- Heard on Radio 2 moments ago: Mark Radcliffe is interviewing Simon Armitage, who, discussing accents and travel between the UK and the US, quoth: "There is an equivalent between Yorkshire and Iowa. We seem to get along fine." No wonder I felt at home in York.
Odds and Ends
Location: Butler's, at the Chesterfield Hotel, Mayfair. London. UK. Why do so many London places go through the motions of serving afternoon tea,…
Location: 181 Piccadilly, south side, near Piccadilly Circus. London. Last night, we went to see the musical Oliver. In the number "Who will buy",…
Back in Toronto, I tried all the afternoon teas the city had to offer. There were only seven or eight to choose from, so it was possible to be…