- Strawberry muffins, baked from an apple muffin recipe on Thursday. They were meltingly tender. We spared two for our fellow badminton players.
- Tomato and Cucumber soup at Carluccio's on Friday. Fresh, zesty, nicely seasoned.
- Fries, crisp on the outside, smooth on the inside, on Saturday at the Dovetail with aquitaineq, genibane, cwjat, and C. They were just as good as I remembered them from my first trip to this Belgian gastropub. The belgian waffle was quite good too. Only downside: the waffle was the only dessert option. When we were there on a Tuesday, there were a good eight or so dessert choices. It really is a city pub, doing most of its business on weekdays.
- Roasted fig salad with wild game pie, all ingredients bought at the Borough Market and eaten on Sunday.
- Brownies, eaten on a step along the plaza at Coven Garden on Sunday with austengirl and lady_ceres, homemade by austengirl's husband. Easy to eat, with a very nice chocolatey finish, something often lacking in brownies.
- Chicken gyoza, at Wagamama, also on Sunday with austengirl and lady_ceres. Tasty, more-ish, much better balance between dumplings and sauce than the duck gyoza
My life through culinary highlights
It's pouring rain here today, with a fair dose of wind gusts thrown in. More interesting than most anonymous rainstorms, this one has a better-known…
I loved the layers and layers of leaves and snow at Kew Gardens last week. Both had been falling at once. Here, up north, the snow has mostly…
For the first time, I caught the high speed train as dawn was breaking over east London and arrived in Canterbury in the full glory of morning light…