S. Worthen (owlfish) wrote,
S. Worthen


Poll #1014297 Commercial spin

What do you call it when a university pays for research which then, being commercially viable, is put into a subsidiary or independent commercial firm for manufacture and sales?


This poll is brought to you by a conference paper I attended this weekend. I had a lovely time up in Manchester (at one of my very favorite conferences) and Preston, and have seen snowdrifted and pittenweem (House Guest of the Week) today at opposite ends of the country from each other.
Tags: language, travelogue

  • The night of bad jokes

    My sister tells me that telling jokes to earn one's treat for Halloween is a Des Moines thing. People in the DC area don't do it. Really?

  • Tasting chocolate

    One of the highlights of going to the Chocolate Show today was a panel called "Judging the Judges". The award winners of a raft of major chocolate…

  • Theo Randall at the Intercontinental

    For weeks, I'd been looking forward to eating at Dabbous, but they cancelled at the last minute, thanks to a gas leak. We already had childcare, so I…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.